The Florida Fall Home Reset: Making Home Feel Good Again

There is something about September that makes me look around the house and suddenly see everything.

The project I meant to finish.

The pile that somehow became a permanent resident.

The cabinet that needs organizing.

The room that's almost how I want it.

And, of course, the project I'm currently considering starting even though several others would probably appreciate being finished first.

Welcome to my fall home reset.

Except this isn't going to be one of those beautiful weekend transformations where the entire house is suddenly spotless, decorated for fall and smelling like cinnamon.

We actually live here.

Our house is a work in progress, and this September I'm much more interested in making it feel good again than making it look finished.

A Reset Doesn't Have to Mean a Makeover

I think this is where I've gotten stuck before.

When there are bigger projects you eventually want to tackle, the smaller things can start to feel pointless.

Why worry about this when we're eventually changing that?

So things wait.

And wait.

Meanwhile, we're still living here every single day.

This month I'm changing the question.

Instead of:

How do I finish this house?

I'm asking:

What would make our home feel better right now?

That feels much more manageable.

1. Start With What's Driving You Crazy

Forget the perfect fall cleaning checklist for a minute.

What's the thing in your house that annoys you every single time you see it?

Start there.

It could be a cluttered counter, unfinished project, junk drawer, closet, bedroom or pile of things waiting to find a home.

It doesn't necessarily need to be the most important project.

Sometimes fixing one small thing that's been quietly aggravating you makes the entire house feel more manageable.

That's where I'm starting.

2. Clean Before Buying Anything

September is dangerous.

Suddenly the stores are full of pretty things and I'm convinced a new basket, candle, throw blanket and possibly an entirely new set of dishes will solve all of my problems.

Probably not.

So I'm making myself clean first.

And I mean the things that get overlooked when life gets busy: cabinets, windows, closets, the refrigerator, pantry, baseboards and all those little corners where stuff somehow accumulates.

The other benefit?

Cleaning reminds me how much we already own.

Which leads directly to my next rule.

3. Shop Your Own House

Before buying fall dรฉcor, I'm looking around our own house.

Books.

Pottery.

Baskets.

Wood.

Crystal.

Artwork.

Vases.

Florals.

Old furniture.

Collected pieces I've forgotten about.

Moving something from one room to another can completely change how you see it.

And I don't think a house needs to suddenly turn orange to feel like fall.

For me, warmer woods, old books, pottery, interesting textures, florals and collected pieces create that feeling much more naturally.

Use what you love before assuming you need more.

4. Let the Kitchen Change Seasons

Florida weather may not be ready for fall, but my kitchen can be.

September has me thinking about apples, squash, mushrooms, savory tarts, good bread, baking and dinners with those first rustic flavors of the season.

Soup and Florida will have to negotiate.

Part of my home reset is simply making the kitchen easier to use again—cleaning out the refrigerator, checking the pantry, clearing the counters and figuring out what we already have.

Then I actually want to cook in it.

Because nothing makes our house feel more like home than something good happening in the kitchen.

5. Take the Reset Outside

Our home doesn't end at the back door.

September is also when I'm starting to look seriously at our yard and garden again.

What survived summer?

What needs cleaning up?

What can we plant now?

What's the next outdoor project?

And which plants have officially gone on to a better place?

There are casualties. We'll discuss them later. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm approaching the outside exactly like the inside:

It doesn't have to be finished. It just needs to get better.

I'll be sharing much more about what I'm planting in our Florida fall garden later this month.

6. Finish One Thing

This one is directed primarily at myself.

Starting projects is fun.

Finishing projects includes that annoying middle period when the exciting part is over but the work is not.

So I'm giving myself one very simple September challenge:

Finish something.

Not everything.

One thing.

One lingering project that I can look at afterward and say:

That's done.

Then I'm going to attempt the even greater challenge of enjoying it for at least five minutes before identifying something else that needs work.

Wish me luck.

7. Make the House Livable, Not Just Finishable

A reset shouldn't turn the house into one giant project.

We still need to live here.

I want to cook.

Read.

Have coffee.

Work in the yard.

Watch movies.

Have people over.

Make things.

Make messes.

Clean them up and probably make more.

There will always be another project.

So I'm trying to create at least a few spaces that feel comfortable and usable now, even while other parts of the house remain works in progress.

My September Home Reset List

I'm keeping the actual checklist pretty simple:

  • Tackle the area bothering me most.
  • Finish at least one lingering project.
  • Deep-clean a few neglected spaces.
  • Declutter before buying more organization.
  • Shop our house before buying fall dรฉcor.
  • Reset the kitchen for more cooking.
  • Start transitioning the yard and garden.
  • Bring forward the books, woods, pottery, florals and collected things that make our home feel warmer.
  • Create at least one comfortable space that's simply meant to be enjoyed.

I'm sure I'll add things.

I'm equally sure I'll get distracted.

That's real life.

A Home Doesn't Have to Be Finished to Feel Good

That's really what this reset is about.

I'm not trying to transform our house into some perfect version of fall.

I'm trying to make the place where we actually live work a little better and feel a little more like us.

Some things need cleaning.

Some need finishing.

Some need growing.

Some need cooking.

And some things probably need to leave the house entirely.

September's Harvest & Home theme isn't about creating a picture-perfect home.

It's about paying attention to what we already have, taking care of it, improving what we can and actually enjoying some of what we've worked so hard to create.

That feels like a pretty good place to start.

Keep Discovering

I'm sharing our real-life Harvest & Home season throughout September—from home projects and Florida fall gardening to seasonal cooking, books and the things that genuinely earn a Discovery Link along the way.

Discovery Links

As I work through our reset, I'll add the cleaning products, tools, kitchen favorites and home finds that genuinely help.

CLEAN WITHOUT COMPROMISE - ECOSENSE CLEANING PRODUCTS

Keep Exploring

Letter from the Editor — Harvest & Home

COMING NEXT: Early Fall Cooking When It's Still Hot Outside

COMING SOON: What I'm Planting in My Florida Garden This September

And working on our house brought up a much bigger question for me:

When do we actually get to enjoy the life we're so busy building?

That's a conversation I'm taking to the microphone this month.

[PODCAST LINK COMING SOON]

Keep Discovering,
Mariah
Unapologetically Diverse
Helping You Discover a Life You Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of January: Inside The Glow-Up Edit

Why I Pressed Reset: My R3 Weight Loss Journey

๐ŸŒฟ How I Started Eating Seasonally (Without Overcomplicating It)